Special Education


Every child, no matter his or her special needs, has a right to an appropriate education at public expense. This right is guaranteed by Federal and New York State law.

You may be having problems getting the placement or services your child has a right to. Local school districts may delay or deny your child’s right to an appropriate education. When this happens, call us.

At Ronald E. Stiskin & Associates, we are dedicated to helping families with special education, bullying, school discipline, and other school-related issues. We represent students throughout New York City as well as in Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Orange, Ulster, Nassau, Suffolk, and other surrounding counties.

Federal and state law guarantee an appropriate education at public expense to every child with a disability. These include learning disabilities, speech and language disorders, attention deficit disorder, deafness, blindness, autism, emotional problems, mental illness, and physical disabilities of all kinds. We represent children from birth to age twenty-one.

We can help you obtain your child’s educational records. If your local school district has refused to classify your child as having a disability, or has misclassified him or her, we can help. We can refer you to professionals who can properly evaluate your child. The evaluation will be shared with the district, which can then classify your child appropriately.

If your child is already in special education, but is not learning to his or her potential, the problem may be the program. It may not be appropriate for your child. Here, too, we can help. We attend meetings of district Committees on Special Education (CSE), holding schools accountable for your child’s progress. Often the necessary changes can be made at this level.

If a problem cannot be settled by negotiation, we are prepared to take the district to a hearing. Our attorneys evaluate the strength of your case, and advise you of the probability of success. If your case is strong, we will file a complaint to initiate an impartial hearing. This is like a trial. The parents and the district can both call witnesses, cross-examine the other side’s witnesses, and present evidence.

Sometimes cases settle before or during a hearing, and sometimes it is up to the Hearing Officer to make a decision. Rest assured – when we have taken a case to hearing, we have never lost yet.

We have been successful in obtaining both public and private placements. If your child is already privately placed, we can take the district to a hearing for tuition reimbursement. There is no need for you to pay privately for your child’s appropriate education.

We are prepared to represent parents in appeals at the State Review level or in Federal court. If successful in litigation, we will help you try to obtain reimbursement of your legal fees.

Parents, trust your instincts. If you feel your child is not receiving an appropriate education, let us help.